We THOUGHT we knew what the weather was like...

Adapting to life in the Northwest.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Garlic Scapes and Garden "Friends"

I've decided that it is about time to get serious about updating this blog. But the emphasis will change a bit- more on the trials, tribulations and JOYS of gardening and eating locally in the Northwest. God gave us such a variety of good foods to enjoy, I'm afraid I may get on my soapbox occasionally about eating fresh, healthy food. Sorry Cool Whip fans- none allowed here.

Today I harvested garlic scapes. They are the blossoms of the garlic before they open, which should be removed anyway to make the bulb grow bigger. And what became of these?
GARLIC SCAPE PESTO. Which was pretty tasty- Jim had 3rds.
Of course, after weeks of drizzly weather, our basil and tomatoes are sulking. Some members of the garden "family" around here is definitely relishing the weather.At least he didn't seem to be eating too many peas.

No comments: