We THOUGHT we knew what the weather was like...

Adapting to life in the Northwest.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Lesson in Patience and God's Timing


How many times have we heard the message that we are to wait on God's timing and not expect Him to be on our timetable? Well, I guess He needed to remind me of that. My California gardener habits just jumped ahead of spring up here in Washington by a few weeks! Yesterday we had a productive day talking to contractors, electricians and landscapers at the Kitsap Home and Garden Show. On the way home we stopped by a big nursery to get pots for transplanting some bareroot native plants we had purchased 3 weeks ago at a native plant sale. I had visions of a relaxing weekend transplanting and digging in the dirt. So of course, I couldn't resist buying some heather, ceanothus and chives, and catnip (for Henry of course). Jim did comment that it was "chilly" at the nursery- 15 mph winds with a temperature in the 40's. Plus it was raining, but hey- we DO live in Washington!

So this morning I was really convinced of my folly when we awoke to a light snow falling, which rapidly turned into 4" of snow on the ground, including the roads, so we decided to hunker down and not drive to church. The plants I bought yesterday sat out in the snow. No gardening today- but I do have one intrepid daffodil in bloom- in a pot where it must have hitched a ride from Ripon. And the shrubs in the ravine are showing the slightest hint of green. And as I write this, some of the snow has melted and the sun is shining! I am reminded of this from the Song of Solomon "For behold, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers have already appeared in the land; the time has arrived for pruning the vines" S .of S. 2:11.
It started slowly











And 2 hours later looked like this.



















Henry chased snowflakes.




1 comment:

Six in our Crew said...

Snow - Silly white stuff!