We THOUGHT we knew what the weather was like...

Adapting to life in the Northwest.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Yikes! Bikes!


3 Reasons we have joined the crazy biking crowd:
1) We were getting fat and lazy and out of shape
2) Jim's PT said it would be better for his leg.
3) We are commanded to care for our bodies as temples of the Lord.

So this week we started on a new adventure- the riding is really great around here- except that we live almost at the top of a hill, so EVERYTHING is downhill until we start coming home. So for the time being we are taking short jaunts around the area (a great way to admire the beautiful gardens). Today we did about 6-7 miles on the Burke-Gilman trail that goes around Lake Washington and then into Seattle. One nice thing about it, is that it is almost flat! Ah- almost like riding back in Ripon. But it sure helps these out-of shape legs and lungs get going. Eventually we could ride all 15 miles on it into Anne and Nate's. But then we would have to get home somehow........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW you guys are definitely settling in to the life up there! I am amazed at how you've have kept this blog up to date! The last time I read was June 9 and I had a lot of catching up to do. I skimmed a good portion and enjoyed the pictures in particular. Loved the picture of you and Jim years and years ago. Is that really you???? Your home looks nice. You mention "Bothell". How far are you from this town? I have a friend that I was a co-camp-counselor with back in my 20's (before Gene) that has married and lives up there. She too is from the bay area originally. I think it was Fremont. Oh and what did you end up naming the adorable kitty? Talk to me Mary!!! I put some pictures on my Facebook profile too. Annette

Six in our Crew said...

How do you do the hill? Doak Blvd. is enough of a hill for me! Looks like a lot of fun!

Mary and Jim said...

Hill on Doak???? I always thought I would go up and down the Wilma overpass for exercise, but never did it!

Anonymous said...

Wow, we are impressed with your biking skills! Wish we could be up there riding and cheering you on. We took our tandem up Brandon Hill (Chabot) and it was quite a challenge....very different from road biking! We are learning even more cooperation and communication after almost 38 years togeter! We are anxiously waiting to hear about the new grandbaby!
Carol and Mike